Toastmasters Clubs offer instruction and skill development to help people speak effectively, organize and conduct meetings, and motivate others. Members represent a cross-section of Duke employees from different backgrounds and departments. Duke Human Resources invites you to join one of the two Toastmasters clubs here at Duke.
Duke Toastmasters Club
- Time: Meets on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wednesdays of each month at 7 a.m.
- Location: Duke Credit Union, Erwin Square Plaza
2200 West Main, 2nd Floor Community Room
- Parking: free on the first level of the parking deck. Use the ungated entrance around the back of the building complex, on the street behind Parizade restaurant.
- Website: http://www.duketoastmasters.org/
Blue Devils Toastmasters
- Time: Meets on the first and third Fridays of each month from noon - 1 p.m.
- Location: 705 Broad Street, Suite 202
- Website: http://bluedevil.toastmastersclubs.org/
"Prattically Speaking" Toastmasters International
- Time: 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month from 12:00-1:00
- Location: Hudson Hall, Room 222
- Website: http://prattspeak.toastmastersclubs.org/
About Toastmasters International
Toastmasters International is a nonprofit organization with nearly 250,000 members in more than 12,500 clubs in 106 countries, offering a way to practice and hone communication and leadership skills.
Most Toastmasters meetings are comprised of approximately 20 people who meet weekly for an hour or two. Participants practice and learn skills by filling a meeting role, ranging from giving a prepared speech or an impromptu one to serving as timer, evaluator or grammarian.
There is no instructor; instead, each speech and meeting is critiqued by a member in a positive manner, focusing on what was done right and what could be improved.