Duke University Health System Job Description
|Job Title: HEALTH COACH|
|Job Code: 5499|
|Job Level: D2|
|Revised Date: 11/01/2007|
|Supervisory Responsibility: No|
General Description of the Job Class
Develop an effective and efficient interpersonal relationship with clients while maintaining a supportive coaching environment. Provide integrative health coaching services for Health Immersion experiences, Enrollment program, outpatient clinic, special programs, and/or research.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Works with clients to elicit clients? goals to improve health and quality of life in both group and individual settings. Fosters an environment of individual responsibility and develops an individualized plan for maximizing each client?s ability to adhere to a health plan formulated by various healthcare professionals. Help individuals use existing skills and develop new ones to enhance success.
- Support external coaching programs by assisting with program needs assessment, recommending and implementing coaching program designs, evaluating, and revising coaching programs as needed
- Facilitate various coaching groups
- Teach classes on health coaching themes
- Monitor each coaching program for quality and performance improvement
- Collaborate with others to create a health coach training program and/or teach coaching skills to professionals
- Communicates with other healthcare professionals as appropriate, informing them of the client?s progress and any potential concerns
Required Qualifications at this Level
Master's degree required in a health related field.
A minimum of six months experience working with a personal coach At least 2 years experience with health behavior change
In lieu of Master?s degree, a Bachelor?s degree and three additional years of coaching experience may be considered.
|Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification:||
Credentialed or eligible to be credentialed at the ACC level with the International Coach Federation
Ongoing continuing education in coaching as defined by the International Coach Federation
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:||
Clearly communicates distinctions between coaching, consulting, psychotherapy, and other support professions. Refers appropriately.
Coaching skills, classroom presentation skills, computer skills, critical thinking skills, organizational skills
Knowledge of healthy lifestyle and integrative medicine
Completion of at least one 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction class and established personal practice
Adult principles of learning, educational process
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Essential Physical Job Functions
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.