Duke University Health System Job Description
|Job Title: EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGIST|
|Job Code: 5349|
|Job Level: D2|
|Revised Date: 06/13/2005|
|Supervisory Responsibility: Yes|
General Description of the Job Class
Develop, coordinate and implement exercise related programs including marketing, research, and internships. Provide exercise-related education for patients and the community. Responsible for all exercise science standards needed to meet regulatory and credentialing requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Performs all Exercise Specialist duties and diagnostic testing independently as required by work site.
- Assist with oversight and daily operations of clinical and non- clinical programs.
- Assist manager with program compliance, benchmarking and performance improvement.
- Able to teach most/all offered land and water based group exercise for low, medium, and high risk clients. Mentor and train other staff in group exercise.
- Required to have clinical knowledge of disease management programming multiple co-morbidities.
- Responsible for exercise prescription development for all patient populations
- Mentor and lead others in the department (employees and interns)
- Direct responsibility for all exercise requirements indicated in cardiac rehab state license, AAVCPR national and ACSM guidelines, if required at work site.
- Recognizes symptom changes/signs of problems and knows the appropriate medical response and processes. Initiates first responder care.
- Active in program certification process and regulatory agency review according to work site.
- Assign and implement lectures, fitness classes, marketing and other materials as needed for each work site.
- Lead Process Improvement initiatives and benchmark responsibilities for program changes.
- Clinical oversight regarding exercise for all patients at all risk levels.
- Able to teach all land and water based group exercise for all risk level patients.
- Serves as master trainer to other staff in area of group exercise and evaluates staff regarding group exercise.
- Functions as a Team Leader in supervising and program oversight.
- Implement processes to ensure compliance with state, national and organizational safety requirements.
- Takes responsibility for program compliance issues.
- Collects, process and interpret program data to support both medical coverage and administrative support.
- Has knowledge of industry standards.
- Serve as principle investigator for research projects, which may include supervision of research and publication.
- Present exercise knowledge at national or regional conferences.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Master's degree in Exercise Physiology or Exercise Science. Bachelor's degree plus RCEP credential accepted
Level I: Minimum 1 yrs applicable experience, prefer 2
Level II: Minimum 3 yrs applicable experience (leadership experience preferred).
|Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification:||
Level I: ACLS required (must attain within 6 months of hire date); ACSM Clinical Certification as Exercise Specialist or Health Fitness instructor (must attain within 6 months of hire date)
Level II: ACLS required; ACSM Clinical Certification as Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:||
Stay current with certifications and attend continuing education events.
Review current research and update materials as needed
A high level of professionalism and knowledge of exercise programming is required.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.