Mobile Farmers Market
Duke Mobile Farmers Market is open all year
If Duke employees are too busy to grocery shop for fresh tomatoes or corn at Duke's weekly Farmers Market, why not have the shopping done for them?
Duke Mobile Farmers Market is a convenient way to get fresh, local produce, eggs and meat. Pre-purchase your orders from various vendors, and pick them up weekly on your way home. Several farms also sell extra produce at their tables so stop by to see what they offer.
Order a CSA box from:
- Britt Farms sells a variety of fresh apples and fall produce to be picked up each Tuesday in October and November from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Duke Gardens parking lot.
- Walking Fish offers a selection of fresh seafood weekly or every other week at Duke Gardens on Thursdays at 4 to 6 pm. or Duke Raleigh Hospital on Tuesdays at 4:30 p.m.
- Coon Rock Farm begins a fall/winter CSA season that begins now and ends in March. Pre-order produce, eggs, and meats. Pick up at Duke Gardens and other sites.
- Brinkley Farm grows and sells a variety of fall produce. Contact the farm for more information.
- Home Delivery is arranged by Bella Bean Organics - you select from a menu of local produce, bread, eggs, meat and more.
To Register for a CSA Weekly Subscription:
- Choose a farmer or vendor(s) — Review information on the Farms & Vendors page. Farmers/vendors offer different products and quantities, and their prices vary. You may sign-up with more than one farmer or vendor.
- Sign up with farmer or vendor(s) — Each farmer or vendor's contact information is listed on the Farms & Vendors page. Registration forms are available at each farmer or vendor's website. Print out a copy and fill out the form. Each registration form includes information on how to sign-up and how to submit your registration form. Send your payment with your form directly to the farmer or vendor. If you have any questions, call or e-mail the farmer or vendor directly.
Get Your Produce, Flowers, Meat, or Fish:
Pick up your pre-ordered boxes or items on Tuesdays, between 4 - 6 p.m. at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens (map). Pick up fresh fish on Thursdays, between 4 and 6 p.m. at the Gardens.
Farmers provide produce in share sizes. A share represents your part of a week's harvest. Some farmers have individual, couple, and family share sizes available. Please read each farmer's registration form or web site carefully to see what share sizes they offer. Below are examples of what a typical share may look like:
|A family share||A family share||A couple share|
Why did LIVE FOR LIFE start the Duke Mobile Farmers Market?
Many Duke employees are too busy or work too far away to shop on campus at the Duke Farmers Market on Fridays. At the same time, local farmers are asking for more locations to sell large quantities of their freshly grown produce. The Duke Mobile Farmers Market is designed for farmers who drive to locations where employees travel at the end of a work day. Everyone is mobile: farmers and employees! The mobile market is a form of community supported agriculture (CSA), a concept that encourages small farmers to sell directly to local customers. In return, customers provide up-front funds to help farmers buy seeds and supplies for the season. For more information, click here. Farmers also sell extra produce at tables while distributing the CSA boxes.
Participants with the Duke Mobile Farmers Market can also find tips and recipes on how to store and prepare produce from the market.
Please see Farms & Vendors for more information.
Farmers will accept customers until they reach full serving capacity.
If you have additional questions about the mobile market, please e-mail Diana Monroe or call the LIVE FOR LIFE office at (919) 684-3136 Option 1.