Benefits of Taking the Stairs
Enjoy the benefits of taking the stairs everyday:
- No special equipment is needed
- Stair climbing can be accumulated across the course of the day, making a significant contribution to the recommended 30 minutes of daily physical activity
- There is a significantly lower risk of mortality when climbing more than 55 flights per week
- Stair climbing requires about 8 - 11kcal of energy per minute, which is high compared to other moderate level physical activities.
- Active stair climbers are more fit and have a higher aerobic capacity
- Even two flights of stairs climbed per day can lead to 6 lbs of weight loss over one year
- There is a strong association between stair climbing and bone density in post-menopausal women
- Climbing stairs can improve the amount of "good cholesterol" in the blood
- Stair climbing increases leg power and may be an important priority in reducing the risk of injury from falls in the elderly
- Stair climbing can help you achieve and maintain a healthy body weight
- Stair climbing can help you build and maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints.