Short-Term Disability Coverage
For qualified employees who work within Duke University Health System (DUHS), Duke will provide short-term and long-term disability coverage. Employees who work 30 hours or more per week with 3 or more years of service qualify for this coverage.
Short Term Disability (STD)
- Approved benefits begin after 12 week waiting period
- 60% of base salary (up to $25,000/mo payable up to 26 weeks).
- While receiving Duke STD benefits, your Short-Term Bank (STB), Long-Term Bank (LTB) or Carry-Over Bank (COB) may be used to supplement salary up to 100% (of weekly straight time earnings) until exhausted or eligible for Duke's LTD.
Long Term Disability (LTD)
- 60% of base salary (up to $25,000/mo).
- Benefits begin after disabled for 26 weeks.
- PTO may not be used to supplement salary once eligible for LTD benefits.
- PTO/vacation sick leave may be used during the initial 7 day waiting period.