Other Work Absences
- Disability Insurance - Duke offers a variety of disability insurance based on whether you are a Duke University employee or a Duke University Health System employee.
- Workers' Compensation - Employees that have an on-the-job injury may be eligible for benefits - including medical care and income replacement - under workers' compensation.
- Bereavement Leave - Duke provides between three to five days off with pay to staff in hourly-paid positions to handle matters related to a death in the family. Health System staff receive time off through Duke's Paid Time Off (PTO) plan - a program that combines vacation, holiday, bereavement, and sick leave.
- Jury Duty - Duke provides paid leave to staff for jury duty service and to staff subpoenaed to serve as witnesses in cases related to employment at Duke.
- Voting Time - Staff who are registered voters and unable to vote outside of regular work hours should be granted scheduled time off with or without pay.
- Flexible Work Options - At Duke, supervisors and staff have worked together to find creative ways of meeting business needs while providing greater flexibility than traditional work arrangements. Duke has now developed formal guidelines to help support supervisors and employees in establishing these arrangements.