Duke Select, Duke Basic, Blue Care
Duke offers three HMOs:
- Duke Select HMO - available only to employees living in ZIP codes beginning with 272, 273, 275, 276 and 277 (Out-of-network care is only covered for emergency or urgent care)
- Duke Basic HMO - available only to employees living in ZIP codes beginning with 272, 273, 275, 276 and 277 (Out-of-network care is only covered for emergency or urgent care)
- Blue Care (Blue Cross Blue Shield) HMO - available only to employees living in North Carolina (Out-of-network care is only covered for emergency or urgent care)
In these HMOs, you may, but are not required to, select a primary care physician (PCP) from a plan's list of network providers. You will pay a flat charge - or co-pay - each time you visit a network provider. Routine, preventive services such as annual physicals, ob/gyn exams, immunizations, and well baby visits are covered under these plans.
Unlike traditional HMOs, with Duke Select, Duke Basic, and Blue Care, you do not need a referral from your PCP to see a network specialist.
Need to Find a Provider?
You can get a listing of participating health care providers at the HR Information Center, 705 Broad Street, or online at:
- Duke Select/Duke Basic Provider Directory - select "Enter Provider Search" located on the middle of the page, then "Duke Select / Duke Basic" under "Select a Product"
- Blue Care Provider Directory - select "Blue Care (GroupHMO Plan)"
- Duke Options Provider Directory - select "Blue Options (Group PPO Plan)"
Please note: As part of our effort to provide the medical care you and your family need, Duke Select and Duke Basic use a provider network unique to Duke. These two plans are only offered to employees living in ZIP codes beginning with the following numbers — 272, 273, 275, 276, and 277.
To participate in Blue Care, you must reside in North Carolina.
Duke Basic Reimbursement Account Contribution
All Duke Basic members will receive an annual contribution to a Health Care Reimbursement Account. The amount of the contribution is based on the level of coverage selected:
- $200 for Employee
- $300 for Employee/Child
- $400 for Employee/Children
- $400 for Employee/Spouse or Employee/Same-Sex Partner*
- $600 for Family (includes Spouse)
Please Note: Duke will not make additional contributions to the Health Care Reimbursement Account for Duke Basic participants if dependents are added during the year due to a qualifying event such as birth or marriage.
* Reimbursement account plans are governed by Internal Revenue Code guidelines that limit the reimbursement of either health care expenses or dependent care expenses to legal dependents. Your same-sex partner is not eligible, although his/her childrens' health care expenses may be reimbursable.
Comparing Health Plans
Each medical care plan covers both pharmacy and mental health benefits. Please refer to the Medical Plans Comparison Chart and Issues to Consider for details. All of our medical plans will cover pre-existing conditions or covered services.