Beginning in January 2010, Duke Select, Blue Care and Duke Options will provide coverage for Duke employees (or their covered spouse) who have been employed at Duke in a benefit eligible category for at least 5 continuous years as reflected by your current continuous service date. Bariatric surgery will be available for patients who meet all of the following criteria:
- Be severely obese (Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more, or significant co-morbid condition with a BMI of 35-39)
- Meet physician's medical/psychological criteria
- Be employed at Duke in a benefit eligible category for at least 5 continuous years as reflected by your current continuous service date
- Have fully participated in:
- Pathways to Change through LIVE FOR LIFE
- Weekly documentation of attendance at Weight Watchers, evidence of two visits to a nutritionist, and an exercise log showing physical activity at least three times/week.
The surgery will only be available at a Duke facility. There will be a co-pay of $2,500. Ask your physician for more information if you believe you are eligible for bariatric surgery.