Life Events Information
Did you know that certain events in your life, such as getting married or having a baby, can affect your Duke benefits coverage?
If you experience a qualifying life event you may make changes to some of your Duke benefits within 30 days of the event. Any change you make must be consistent with your qualifying event.
Qualifying events include, but are not limited to:
- Marriage, divorce, or legal separation,
- Birth or adoption (or placement of adoption) of a child,
- Death of a covered dependent,
- Loss or gain of eligibility for insurance coverage for staff or a covered dependent (loss of student insurance or individual policy does not qualify),
- Change in spouse's employment status which results in a gain or loss of insurance coverage,
- Change in medical insurance eligibility due to a relocation of residence or workplace, and
- An employee turning age 26 and losing coverage under a parental policy.
If you experience a change in status, you must provide documentation or written proof of notification to the HRIC within 30 days of the change to update your benefits selections. You may need to present documentation, such as a marriage or death certificate, or divorce decree. If you miss this 30 day deadline, then you will need to wait until Duke's next Open Enrollment period to make changes to your health, dental, vision, and reimbursement accounts.
Additional information is available from the Human Resources Information Center (HRIC) at 684-5600 or 705 Broad Street.