Children's Tuition Grant
- Benefits under this program provide tuition grants of up to 75% of the weighted average of Duke tuition, after applying a per semester deductible and other tuition scholarships. If scholarship is not designated toward tuition and not greater than room, board and fees, then scholarship has no impact on the Children's Tuition Grant. Summer Sessions: Two full sessions of summer school are counted as one semester.
- The tuition for NC public colleges and universities is less than the deductible per semester. Therefore, no tuition grant benefit will be paid.
- Each eligible employee may receive up to a maximum of 16 semesters of tuition assistance, no more than eight of which may be used by any one child.
- The program provides a grant for full-time study at the associate or baccalaureate level at any approved, accredited, degree-granting institution of higher education in the world.
- The grant is provided for the pursuit of your child's first undergraduate degree. Second undergraduate degrees and graduate study are not covered.
- Only tuition expenses are eligible for reimbursement. If the scholarship is not designated towards tuition and not greater than room, board, and fees then the scholarship has no impact on payment. See Tuition Grant Examples for more information.
Two earlier plans continue to be available to faculty and senior administrative staff. The first plan, available to these employees hired prior to 1975, provides up to 100% of Duke's tuition and does not limit the number of children eligible. The second plan provides those employees hired between 1975 and 1986 with a benefit of up to $2,500 per child for up to two children with no deductible. Both plans are considered taxable if you meet the IRS definition of a highly compensated employee*.
For more information, please see the Children's Tuition Grant Plan Description (PDF).